Thursday, December 3, 2009

MAUI WOWIE!! By: Christine

Maui Wowie here I come!! So excited to leave for the airport in five hours to catch my flight to Maui! All my bags are packed I'm ready to go... Can't wait to join the Wigo family!

I have a nice 5 days there until I embark on my 20 hour journey to Bangkok. Unfortunately, Audra and I decided to cut Cambodia out of our itinerary.. The difficulties of road travel and crossing the border and our little time in East Asia were the deciding factors. But... we are now heading to Phuket, the most popular island destination of Thailand instead! It is compared to Vegas with all its bright flashing lights and crazy nightlife... It will be a great contrast to the little island we will be visiting also!

Here are some "Lessons Learned the Hard Way" that I picked up from a friend who visited Vietnam recently. Hopefully, these are lessons Audra and I will NOT have to learn!

1. Don't give passport to anyone except hotel staff. Even tour guides!
2. All wine in VN is bad.. (We'll let you know if this one is true..) :)
3. Don't use hackers (those who come up to you asking you if you need a taxi) ever. Meters in taxis should say price/kilometer. Call hotel in advance and ask how much cab ride should be from airport/train station to the hotel.
4. Bargain for 50% off everything. 15%-25% off fruits and water in markets.
5. Smiles USUALLY help.
6. Don't put bags in taxi trunk if you can help it, in case of a money dispute. Cab drivers will not give bags back until you pay what they ask!
7. Always ask hotels if they close their doors at night.

Hope to update soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment